Page 3, Rasgueado Chords & Transition w/ A-Pedal
I’ve never been satisfied with this chord section in transcriptions of this piece and today, as I began to look at it more closely, the feeling remained. You may notice that I spend most of my time on the transition passage leading up to the Recap of the Introduction….
What I do know is I’m going to have to find a way to make these chords work for the context of the piece and for me. Research.
- Listening: Pianists—what are they doing with this passage?
- More Listening: Guitarists—how are they approaching it?
- Laboratory: Prototype solutions
- Context & Listening: Place in the context of the piece and record versions.
- Get Off the Fence: Choose a solution.
I say all this knowing that right now I’m in the “covering ground phase” of my work. Today is a reminder of days to come and areas that will need to be addressed. The impatient part of me wants to have the answers now. The more seasoned part of me has to step forward and keep moving forward to get the details in place and identify ALL the areas that will need extra attention in the coming days.
I’ve been listening this performance all week—it’s become a favorite.
This moment, in particular, is beautiful. I love what Mehldau plays in the Right Hand. Goosebumps.
See you tomorrow.